[UPDATE] The new Android Auto is rolling out now with version 4.5.5928. If you are having issues getting the new layout try clearing the app cache and data and then force-closing it.
Before the start of Google’s yearly I/O developers conference they released an early announcement of a major redesign of Android Auto. Utilizing a much sleeker dark mode design the new interface brings a refreshing look for Google’s connected car solution. Rod Lopez, Product Manager for Android Auto, explained the ideology behind the new design, “The new interface is built to help you get on the road faster, show more useful information at a glance and simplify common tasks while driving.”
Here are the key takeaways from their announcement:
- A Faster Connection:As soon as you start your car, Android Auto will continue playing your media and show your navigation app of choice. Simply tap on a suggested location or say “Hey Google” to navigate to a new place.
- Easier Access to Apps:With the new navigation bar, you’ll be able to see your turn-by-turn directions and control your apps and phone on the same screen.
- Quicker Access to App Functions:With the new navigation bar, you’ll be able to easily control your apps with one tap. Get turn-by-turn directions, rewind your podcast or take incoming call all on the same screen.
- Easily manage communications:The new notification center shows recent calls, messages and alerts, so you can choose to view, listen and respond at a time that’s convenient and safe for you.
- Readability:We’re evolving Android Auto’s design to fit in better with your car’s interior. A dark theme, coupled with colorful accents and easier to read fonts, also helps improve visibility.
- Versatile Screen Sizes:If you have a car with a wider screen, Android Auto now maximizes your display to show you more information, like next-turn directions, playback controls and ongoing calls.